Tuesday, February 22, 2011

ONE LITTLE WORD: January done!

Let's pretend for a moment that it's not 6 days before February's end.

I'm done with my January prompts for my One Little Word project.  Better a little slow, but still on the go, right?
Right.
Anyway, one of the first things the project asks for is a self portrait of me right now, as in, in the beginning of this project... Well, seeing that I've only just introduced the project and not blogged a single thing beyond that introduction, then this self portrait (taken Presidents' Day) serves that purpose quite well.
I'm going to REACH!
Feel free to ignore the tummy bulge... I sucked it in, but looked like I was reinacting Blue Steel a la Zoolander. And hey, I earned that Mommy gut - - so though I hate to flaunt it, it's part of me. 

Ok, back to the prompts. I tell ya, easily diverted to irrelevant side topics!

This year, and all those to come, I'm going to reach for my goals and stop waiting for something to "happen." My different? Becoming the woman, mother, sister, daughter, human I believe I was meant to be. There is no tomorrow if I'm not taking advantage of my today :)

I pulled out my thesaurus to find words related to (synonymous with) reach. [There's something quite wonderful about claiming a word that is both verb and noun.] 

NOUN
spread, grasp, influence, scope, range, extent
VERB
touch, stretch, get hold of, grasp, get, extend
go, move, feel, fumble, lunge, dive, grasp, grab
arrive at, get to, attain, make, achieve, accomplish, turn up, show up
influence, touch, affect, impact on, get to, speak to, sway, move
contact, get in touch with, get through to, get hold of, make contact with, get a message to, connect with, access, catch, communicate
Then I hunted out a few quotes that suited my invitation of the concept of reach into my life. I admit it, I loved what I found.
The words 'I am...' are potent words; be careful what you hitch them to. The thing you're claiming has a way of reaching back and claiming you.
A. L. Kitselman
If there are a hundred steps
In thy path to success
And ye have not reached it
In ninety-nine of them
Do not conclude
That the journey is a failure.
Press on and up...
the prizes are generally at the end of an effort,
not at its beginning...
and not to go on
is to miss them.
Be valiant... have faith in yourself.
Success belongs to him
who dares to win it.
George S. Forest
The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or even seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them.
Denis Waitley

No exercise is better for the human heart than reaching down to lift up another person.
Tim Russert

Whenever you make a mistake or get knocked down by life, don't look back at it too long. Mistakes are life's way of teaching you. Your capacity for occasional blunders is inseparable from your capacity to reach your goals. No one wins them all, and your failures, when they happen, are just part of your growth. Shake off your blunders. How will you know your limits without an occasional failure? Never quit. Your turn will come.
Og Mandino

The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it. But that it is too low... and we reach it.
Michelangelo

Once you realize that the road is the goal and that you are always on the road, not to reach a goal, but to enjoy its beauty and its wisdom, life ceases to be a task and becomes natural and simple, in itself an ecstasy.
Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

No comments: