Sunday, May 25, 2008

countdown ...

It's that time of year... when teachers' excitement and anticipation outweighs the students'.  Summer break is coming in a mere 13 school days and though I have a heap load of grading to do, it's already decided who is passing for the year and who is not.  It's mathematical, and one 40% quarter cannot change the results of the other 160% of earned grades for the year.  I warned them many times and now I just print the page of woe out and hand it to the students as though the steady "F' on each report card and interim was not enough.  As usual, my grade book is ethical.  I don't give away grades and I don't push up struggling students who just didn't make the effort to achieve.  It's not fair to the student, it's not fair to those who achieved.

No comments: