Sunday, September 4, 2011

Back to Class

It was an eventful first week back at work...
construction
My school is in a transition state, with construction effecting building use, supply procurement, and basic back to school functions. Morale for all is high and we're open for business - ready or not - on Tuesday.
construction 2
I'm almost excited to get things going (though I could do without the new lesson plan formatting initiative). There are at least 138 students on my roster right now, and that number could increase in the next few days or weeks.

I love that there's a new reading list. After eight years of the same novels, short stories, and poems, I needed a change. I've already ordered my reading copies of several novels I'm excited to integrate into my courses. Among the top choices for reading options are The Book Thief, The Joy Luck Club,and Angela's Ashes. I'm seeing a serious focus on historical fiction and memoir in all of the selections.
back pack ya

As is usually the case, Ya's return to school was rocky. 1st dayHe was just not interested in staying in his class. 1st day skeptic"Mommy, don't leave me," was the drop off recitation. 1st day cries"Mommy, why you keep leaving me?" was his greeting at every pick up.
do you hear?
Maybe he's just lamenting the fact that his clothes don't exactly match? Yeah for uniforms and standard dress. At 5:45 a.m. it's hard to outfit three people and rush out the door.

3 comments:

Patti G said...

YAY for Angela's Ashes - love, LOVE this book. Such an inspiration Frank McCourt is................did I say I LOVE it? Happy back to school, I return again tomorrow also.
Have a great year!

Sarah said...

Awww, so cute! Happy back to school.

Jenn said...

Oh. Oh. The crying picture. I just wanna give him a sympathetic hug.