Friday, December 10, 2010

Shutter-bug likes the 'FLY

I've been harboring a not-so-secret sidekick in my photography arsenal. 

You see, I like to keep things tangible, and in the days of Green conservation and digital dominance, that's not something I hear said a lot anymore.  Sure, the lines at the photo processing stores in the supermarkets and chain stores look busy, but I often wonder how many people actually print the photos they take.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Somewhere back in 2004, I had a fortuitous meeting with the company Shutterfly.  Nope, I didn't bump into the CEO - - or even an employee, at least not directly.  But nevertheless, I began a relationship with Shutterfly's services that I've cherished.

When I wanted to share with my grandmother how much Chi had grown, I used their snapbooks.   They're basically 4x6 or 5x7 brag books of photos that are perfect tote-along-and-share size. See, this is one I sent out right after a Spring Break trip to Pennsylvania (when everything in the sleepy chocolate town was closed except the zoo and their schools).
pa trip scrapbook
Now it's been a few years, and the bookmaking trends have changed.  I've moved on to hardcover albums for most of my gifting. And Shutterfly has found the most awesome page designers for scrapbookers on a time (or patience) crunch.  Isn't this just lovely?
ya's baby book

What do you give the woman who has everything and requests that you give her nothing (but would feel slightly hurt if you followed her wishes)?  A tote embellished with a photograph!  For gram this year, it's Ya's prayer picture on a tote she is sure to carry to Bible studies and church for years to come.

One year, I gave everyone a calendar of images (of Chi).  If I do it again, I promise to make the pictures a bit more diverse.

Holidays a'comin quick!
I mentioned the other day on FaceBook that I had finished my holiday cards.  I was shocked to see so many people say they were doing it digital or not at all this year.  I don't know, I've always LOVED receiving photos during the holidays and have been sending out holiday cards since Chi was two.  I think I have saved every card I've gotten that included a photo... but send me a store bought sentiment with no personalization save the signature, and it's to the recycle bin with the New Year's celebration.

Shutterfly still has this one I sent in 2004:
christmas card
And as it is the season for sharing, I've sent out cards this year too.  I took advantage of Shutterfly's holiday card sale and ordered a unique card for several relatives and a more universal card for everyone else.  And though there are a lot of designer cards to choose from - from religious to secular greetings, I opted for the ultra personalized 5x7 photo card designed entirely by me.

Memories done-been saved!
I also made sure to get together a small softcover album of our favorite photos from the fall.  It's on its way here right now.
fall memories book
Oh, and I can't forget the notebooks with personalized covers Marq and I picked up for writing down our everythings.  Um... I'm starting to think I might have gone a bit overboard on photogifting (especially for myself).  But really.  Who's gonna see the images and memories Terra holds if I never send them out?  Sure, online galleries are great, but sometimes the power goes out, technology fails, and technology is rendered obsolete quickly.  And so, I'm going to be flying over to Shutterfly time and time again to get the pictures in hold-it-in-my-hand form.

And because I wanna keep sharing memories even after the Christmas festivities have passed, Shutterfly is offering me 50 free photo cards (I'm thinking a New Year's photo card of each of the kids) this year. 

My fellow procrastinators, it's not too late for you to order up something, either. 

Oh, and you might want to participate in their blogger incentive program or pick a sale promotion to save a little money for the next prints you order.

No comments: